TEDx – Is Medicine Killing You?
Speaking topics include:
- The Health Benefits of a Happy Professional Life - We all know that work stress is bad for your health, but did you know that you can literally work yourself to death? The scientific data proves that those who engage in work they love, manage work stress effectively, and learn how to counteract the body’s stress response with the relaxation response live longer, healthier lives. This talk, which is ideal for corporate audiences, focuses on how being more healthy in your professional life affects not just your job satisfaction but your physical health. It includes teaching a simple practice that counteracts the stress response and helps prevent its deleterious effects on the body.
- The Health Benefits of Friendship - The scientific data proves that the more close friends we have, the healthier we are. Close friendships make you less likely to get sick and more likely to recover if you get sick. They even increase your life expectancy. This talk, which is ideal for women’s conferences, churches, and other health and spirituality gatherings, focuses on the sacred contracts we unconsciously or explicitly make with our friends. It also covers tips for how to be a good friend and how to attract positive friendships into your life, not just because friends alleviate loneliness, but because friendship is preventative medicine.
- Mind Over Medicine - The health care world consists of practitioners married to two often competing philosophies. Many hang their hats on modern medicine’s ever-evolving technological advances, insisting that technology is the panacea for all illness. Others, who often pressure patients to avoid conventional medicine, believe you can heal yourself and the practitioner’s job is to facilitate the self-healing process. This talk, which is ideal for holistic health conferences, focuses on how to combine the two, integrating the best of what modern medicine has to offer with techniques for facilitating physiological self-repair via the power of the mind.
- Diagnose The REAL Reason You’re Sick - You might think it’s your genes, your hormones, or your biochemistry causing your illness- and you might be right. But often, the root causes of illness stem from unresolved emotional issues that lead to physiological manifestations within the body. To achieve optimal health, the root causes of illness must be diagnosed and treated, alongside any biochemical diagnosis and treatment. This talk, which is ideal for hospitals and health conferences, is similar to the TEDx talk I gave here.
- Can You Really Heal Yourself? - The placebo effect and its evil twin, the nocebo effect, prove that what we believe about our health manifests physically. But you don’t need a sugar pill or saline injection in order to heal yourself. By shifting negative beliefs about health to positive ones, you create a hormonal milieu that activates the body’s natural self-repair mechanisms. This talk, ideal for health and women’s conferences, focuses on what you can do to heal your beliefs so your body will follow.
- How To Heal Yourself - Healing yourself is a six step process that requires positive belief, the support of a healer, the ability to tap into the body’s inner wisdom and knowing, the insight to be able to diagnose the underlying root causes of illness, the courage to implement a treatment plan aimed at healing the root causes of the illness, and after you’ve done what you can, the faith to surrender to the journey. This talk, ideal for health and women’s conferences, offers practical tools and audience participation so listeners can make their own self-diagnosis and write The Prescription, a self-guided holistic treatment plan, for themselves.
Dr. Rankin speaks at:
- Women’s conferences
- Medical conferences
- Writing and art conferences
- Social media conferences
- Retreat centers
‘Your diagnosis is you’re in a freakin’ abusive marriage, you hate your job, you feel creatively thwarted, you are spiritually disconnected, and you haven’t let go of the resentment against your father who molested you as a child’ – Dr. Rankin’s TEDxTalk. Dr. Lissa Rankin is an elegant and honest speaker. Her TEDxTalk has already reached almost 45,000 views only one month after the event. Perhaps it’s because people are hungry for their health care practitioners to be really honest with them instead of prescribing pill after pill. Lissa is willing to get real with people and guide them on a path to true, whole wellness. I struggled personally for years with pelvic problems, in and out of clinics to understand why I had the pain. It wasn’t until I quit working at a hostile environment, moved across the country, and starting learning to love myself from the inside-out that the pain went away. If every doctor were to have the balls – er – ovaries like Dr. Lissa, we’d have a healthier society. She is on to something! ~ Michelle Fetsch, TEDxFiDiWomen Curator, License Holder Founder, Women Enough
“There are performances and then there is embodiment. There are performers and then there is the real deal, people who walk their talk. Lissa Rankin is real – she walks her talk. Her message is timely, brilliant, and empowering. When she’s speaks, no one falls asleep! Bold, her message is one that every body needs to hear! When people ask me why Lissa? I say, ‘Shut up and sit down-this woman is a leader and a visionary with much to say!'” ~ Debbie Rosas, Co-founder and Co-creator of The Nia Technique
“In 2010, Lissa was selected as one of the presenters at BlogHer’s Voices of the Year community keynote. The community keynote is the centerpiece of our flagship conference, and Lissa took the stage in front of a thousand of our attendees. To say she had them in the palm of her hand is an understatement. Let’s just say she had them chanting along and created a new catchphrase that will go down in conference lore as a clarion call for the community!” ~ Elisa Camahort Page, co-founder of BlogHer
“Lissa Rankin speaks the truth. And from this place of truth she ignites the humanity in us all. Her voice becomes a beacon of light nudging each and every one of us to awaken from our way too long slumber.” ~ Sheila Kelley, founder of S Factor
“I honestly was so surprised when Lissa committed to coming out and delivering the key note speech for Zest Fest! I felt extremely fortunate and knew that the women that attended would be in for a pretty kick ass treat as well! Lissa is so vibrantly alive and radiates her love for women’s health with a beautiful emphasis on the emotional component. . . She rocked my world.” ~ Beth Umba, founder of Zest Fest
“The Connecticut College Women’s Center brought Dr. Lissa Rankin to campus in October 2010 as part of her Ask the Girlfriend Gyno book tour. Dr. Rankin and her team were a pleasure to work with. I believe it says a lot about a speaker when they walk into the room and can calm a very nervous organizer with a hug! Dr. Rankin’s talk was engaging, funny and serious at the same time. She took each student’s question seriously and answered to the best of her ability. At the end of the night, she took extra time to speak to individuals who had more private questions. Our student responses at the end of night ranged from “engaging and funny” to “I’d like to see more speakers like Dr. Rankin on-campus” to “Answered questions that I didn’t even know I wanted to ask!” I highly recommend Dr. Lissa Rankin as a positive addition to your campus speakers line up!” ~ Colleen Bunn, Area Coordinator of Connecticut College
“Lissa was an absolute pleasure to work with at our recent TEDxAmericanRiviera event. She showed the utmost professionalism and dedication to delivering a Talk that would change people’s lives. In fact, her message already has for thousands of people. We continue to receive feedback that Lissa’s presentation at our event has fundamentally changed the way people view what is possible in health. Her authenticity and integrity, particularly in handling a substantially controversial topic, inspire every single person she comes in contact with. Bravo Lissa!”
~ Kymberlee Weil, Producer and Speaker Coach of TEDxAmericanRiviera
“We were fortunate to be involved with Lissa Rankin, M.D. on her book signing tour. Although not new to us, Lissa’s topic of “Scientific Proof That You Can Heal Yourself” gave a refreshing outlook and history of how a busy, driven physician could re-evaluate her profession and integrate a holistic approach to healing the body. Her extensive research into the topic and subsequent embracing of a new approach to evaluating the causes and treatments for chronic and sometimes life threatening illnesses helped the participants gain a new perspective on healthcare. She energized the audience with new tools that would help ‘make their illnesses their business’ and move towards healing themselves in a new partnership with their healthcare providers.” ~ Mary Shields, Community Healthcare System
Upcoming lectures & workshops:
For details about upcoming events, visit this page.
Select examples of places where Dr. Rankin has lectured:
- Hay House I Can Do It, San Jose, CA
- TEDxFiDiWomen, San Francisco, CA
- Kripalu Yoga Center, Lenox, MA
- Zest Fest, Fairlee, VT
- BlogHer Conference (Keynote) NYC
- Northwestern University, Chicago, IL
- 140 Characters Conference, NYC
- Ladies Who Launch Conference (Keynote), Seattle, WA
- Boston University, Boston, MA
- Sharp Mary Birch Hospital (with Jane Seymour), San Diego, CA
- UC-Santa Cruz, Santa Cruz, CA
- Kripalu Center For Yoga And Health, Stockbridge, MA
- Connecticut College, New London, CT
- International Encaustic Artists conference, San Francisco, CA
- S Factor, San Diego, CA, Los Angeles, Chicago
- Northeastern University, Boston, MA
- Studio Nia, Portland, OR
- International Encaustic Conference, Montserrat, CA
- Make Mine A Million $ Business conference, San Francisco, CA
- University of Texas, Austin, TX
- Mama Gena’s School of Womanly Arts, Miami, FL
- University of Delaware, Newark, DE
Customize Your Keynote
Because of her wide-ranging expertise, Lissa doesn’t fit neatly into any boxes. Because of this, she doesn’t use “canned” talks, but rather customizes her message and calls upon her vast experience to fit your desires and the needs of your audience.
To inquire about Dr. Rankin’s availability to speak at your event please take the time to provide us the necessary information, the more specific your answers, the faster we can get back to you!
Examples of Things to Include:
How long would you like Lissa to speak?
What topic would you like Lissa to cover?
Tell us about your event.
The more details the better.